Journal: Journal of Pharmacy Research

Article Id: JPRS-Pe-00001998
Title: Knowledge and attitude of magnetic dentures among undergraduate dental students
Category: Periodontics
Section: Research Article
  • Abstract
  • Audio Abstract
  • Authors
  • Pdf File
  • Citation
  • My Reference
  • Methodology
  • Abstract

    Background: Over a long period of time, magnets have generated great interest within dentistry, and their applications are numerous. Popular method of attaching removable prostheses to retained roots or osseointegrated implants are done by magnetic retention. They are widely used because of their small size and strong attractive forces; these attributes allow them to be placed within prostheses without being obtrusive in the mouth. Aim: The aim of this study is to evaluate the knowledge of dental student regarding magnetic dentures. Material and Method: Questionnaire with 15 questions was prepared for 100 undergraduate students to evaluate their knowledge on the magnetic denture. The questionnaire included 14 structured questions focusing on the following (1) assessing knowledge on importance of magnetic denture, (2) treatment modalities after extraction, and (3) advantages and disadvantages of magnetic denture. Result: A total of 100 students answered the question, 5% students had inserted 0–5 dentures, 20% students had inserted 6–10 denture, and 75% of students had inserted 11–20 dentures. Around 75% of students were aware of magnetic denture, and the other 25% were not aware of it. 70% of students stated it subjected to wear, and demagnetization, 20% of students, stated aluminum‑nickel‑cobalt (AINiCO) alloy corrode rapidly in saliva, and 10% stated it has lower retentive force than those offered by bar or ball attachment. Conclusion: This study showed poor knowledge of fresh undergraduate on the magnetic denture and its advantages and disadvantages. There is urge need to implement laboratory, clinical and preclinical component in a curriculum that would lead to good quality treatment.

  • Abstract Audio

    No Audio file found

  • About the authors and Affiliations

    Author(s) Name:

    Umayal Swaminathan, Ashish R. Jain*

    Affiliation(s) Name:

    Department of Prosthodontic, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

    *Corresponding author: Dr. Ashish R. Jain, Department of Prosthodontics,Saveetha Dental College and Hospital, Saveetha University, Poonamallee High Road, Chennai ‑ 600077, Tamil Nadu, India.

  • View Article File in pdf format.

    Article File
  • View Article Citation Here.

    0 View More
  • How to Cite my Article.


    Umayal Swaminathan, Ashish R. Jain*

    Title:Knowledge and attitude of magnetic dentures among undergraduate dental students
    Journal:Journal of Pharmacy Research
    Vol(issue):12 (February )
    Page No: (261-267)
  • Experimental Methods Keywords

    Methodology: Questionnaire with 15 questions,Knowledge and attitude,Magnetic, Retention
    Research Materials:Undergraduate dental students


Alloy Denture Knowledge Magnetic Retention

Our Services

Most Downloaded List