Journal: Drug Invention Today

Article Id: JPRS-Other-00002282
Title: Awareness about the relation of cochlear damage and use of headphones among young generation - A survey
Category: Others ( DIT Related Science )
Section: Research Article
  • Abstract
  • Audio Abstract
  • Authors
  • Pdf File
  • Citation
  • My Reference
  • Methodology
  • Abstract

    Aim: The aim of the study is to create an awareness about cochlear damage and use of headphones among young generation. Introduction: The ear is made up of three parts that work together to process sounds: The outer ear, middle ear, and inner ear. Part of the inner ear called the cochlea contains tiny hair cells. These hair cells help to send sound messages to the brain. However, loud noise can damage the hair cells. When this happens, the cochlea cannot relay sound messages to the brain as well. Unlike damage to other parts of your body, inner ear damage never heals. Over time, as more and more hair cells get damaged, your hearing will get worse and worse. Materials and Methods: The study was conducted in a group of young students from various places, and a questionnaire comprising of appropriate questions was distributed. The students were told to fill the questionnaire with conscious and they were explained what the study is about. They were explained about how the headphones work and the consequences of using headphones with high-frequency sound. The sample size taken for the survey was 100 students in the age group of 15-25 years old. Result: 97% of the people use headphones and the remaining 3% do not use them. It was found that 41% of the subjects use headphones more than twice a day and 21% of the people use headphone every time they work and the remaining people use headphone once or twice a day. It was found that 65% of the study population use their headphone listening to music in their workplaces, while traveling, etc., and rest of them use it for films (17%), gaming (8%), and phone calls (10%). It is found that 40% of the people feel that the use of headphones is quite important in their daily activities. 80% of the people plug their headphones in their mobile phone and listen to music while travelling, working, or in their free time. Conclusion: The above study has been presented with clear details on how high- frequency noises in headphones can produce cochlear damage, and thus, it is very important to prevent ourselves from using headphones with high sounds and instead use speakers or play in some device from a particular distance so that the frequency from the device does not have any effect on our ears.

  • Abstract Audio

    No Audio file found

  • About the authors and Affiliations

    Author(s) Name:

    M. Ashfaq Ahmed1 , R. Gayathri 2 *, V. Vishnu Priya2

    Affiliation(s) Name:

    1 Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Science, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India,

    2 Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Science, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

    *Corresponding author: R. Gayathri, Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Science, Saveetha University, 160, Poonamallee High Road, Chennai - 600 077, Tamil Nadu, India.

  • View Article File in pdf format.

    Article File
  • View Article Citation Here.

    0 View More
  • How to Cite my Article.

    Author:

    M. Ashfaq Ahmed1 , R. Gayathri 2 *, V. Vishnu Priya2

    Title:Awareness about the relation of cochlear damage and use of headphones among young generation - A survey
    Journal:Drug Invention Today
    Vol(issue):10 (June)
    Year:2018
    Page No: (911-915)
  • Experimental Methods Keywords

    Methodology:Brain, Cochlea, Hair cells, Headphones, Messages
    Research Materials:Young students

Keywords

Brain Cochlea Hair cells Headphones Messages

Our Services

Most Downloaded List