Journal: Drug Invention Today

Article Id: JPRS-Pcol-00002349
Title: Awareness on intake of antioxidants and its health benefits among Indian population
Category: Pharmacology
Section: Research Article
  • Abstract
  • Audio Abstract
  • Authors
  • Pdf File
  • Citation
  • My Reference
  • Methodology
  • Abstract

    Introduction: Antioxidants are nature’s way of protecting the body and cells from damaging free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that are generated by sun exposure, stress, and as part of the natural aging process. Free radicals damage cells, DNA, and collagen thereby disrupting cellular integrity. Antioxidants such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and beta-carotene scavenge the free radicals and protect cellular integrity. The aim of the study is to create awareness on intake of antioxidants and its health benefits among the Indian population. Materials and Methods: A questionnaire-based study was conducted among the people of different age groups. The questionnaire was prepared with 15 questions on antioxidants, uses, and free radicals. Result: Almost 70.5% of participants were aware of antioxidants, and the remaining 29.5% were unaware of antioxidants. Nearly 66% of participants have been reported to consume fruits and vegetables daily which are rich sources of antioxidants. Conclusion: Antioxidants prevent free radical-induced tissue damage by preventing the formation of radicals. This survey may create awareness on antioxidants which can influence the quality of life.

  • Abstract Audio

    No Audio file found

  • About the authors and Affiliations

    Author(s) Name:

    C. S. Yuvashree1 , V. Vishnu Priya2 *, R. Gayathri 2

    Affiliation(s) Name:

    1 Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India,

    2 Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

    *Corresponding Author: V. Vishnu Priya, Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.

  • View Article File in pdf format.

    Article File
  • View Article Citation Here.

    0 View More
  • How to Cite my Article.

    Author:

    C. S. Yuvashree1 , V. Vishnu Priya2 *, R. Gayathri 2

    Title:Awareness on intake of antioxidants and its health benefits among Indian population
    Journal:Drug Invention Today
    Vol(issue):10 (July)
    Year:2018
    Page No: (1182-1184)
  • Experimental Methods Keywords

    Methodology:Aging, Antioxidants, Free radicals, Molecules, Oxidation, Oxidative stress
    Research Materials:Antioxidants

Keywords

Aging Antioxidants Free radicals Molecules Oxidation Oxidative stress

Our Services

Most Downloaded List