Journal: Drug Invention Today

Article Id: JPRS-TE-00002422
Title: Awareness on adverse effects of self-medication in Indian population
Category: Toxicity evaluation
Section: Research Article
  • Abstract
  • Audio Abstract
  • Authors
  • Pdf File
  • Citation
  • My Reference
  • Methodology
  • Abstract

    Aim: The aim of this research is to create awareness on the adverse effects of self-medication among the South Indian population. Materials and Methods: A study was designed as a questionnaire-based survey. A questionnaire with queries about awareness on adverse effects of self-medication was distributed to 80 participants by an online link on survey planet. Results were obtained online, and they statistically analyzed. Results: About 76.3% of the participants were taking self- medications for different reasons. Of the total 80 participants, 37 participants were male, and 43 participants were female. Nearly 65% of the participants were aware of overdosage of self-medication, while 35% of them are not aware of overdosage. Only 53% of the participants were aware that overdosage of self-medication leads to organ failure and the remaining 47% of them were not aware of systemic failures due to overdosage of self-medication. Conclusion: More knowledge about self- medication and its adverse effects should be spread to common people. Pharmacists and doctors should make an effort to educate the people on the various side effects of self-medication.

  • Abstract Audio

    No Audio file found

  • About the authors and Affiliations

    Author(s) Name:

    J.Godlin Jeneta1 , V. Vishnu Priya2 *, R. Gayathri 2

    Affiliation(s) Name:

    1 Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India,

    2 Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

    *Corresponding author: V. Vishnu Priya, Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.

  • View Article File in pdf format.

    Article File
  • View Article Citation Here.

    0 View More
  • How to Cite my Article.

    Author:

    J.Godlin Jeneta1 , V. Vishnu Priya2 *, R. Gayathri 2

    Title:Awareness on adverse effects of self-medication in Indian population
    Journal:Drug Invention Today
    Vol(issue):10 (August)
    Year:2018
    Page No: (1516-1519)
  • Experimental Methods Keywords

    Methodology:Self-medication, Awareness, Overdosage, Organ failure
    Research Materials:80 participants

Keywords

Self-medication Awareness Overdosage Organ failure

Our Services

Most Downloaded List