Journal: Drug Invention Today

Article Id: JPRS-P col-00003103
Title: Status of dental caries among nursing students
Category: Pharmaceutics
Section: Research Article
  • Abstract
  • Audio Abstract
  • Authors
  • Pdf File
  • Citation
  • My Reference
  • Methodology
  • Abstract

    Introduction: Nurses work to take care of patients. They help patients to cope up with illness and improve their health. They provide direct patient care and observe and record patient symptoms, reactions, and progress. They should be aware of the health facts and disorders including oral hygiene and oral health problems. Dental caries is considered to be the most prevalent disease among the population with a high rate of morbidity which reduces the quality of life. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional questionnaire survey was carried out among the nursing students of Saveetha College of Nursing to assess the knowledge, attitude, and awareness. A simple random sample was drawn to reach the required sample size of 100. A questionnaire consisting of the dental knowledge, the attitude of the students toward dental health, and awareness of the students was carried out. The responses were, therefore, estimated by collecting the completely filled questionnaire from the 100 nursing students. Results: Of the total 100 nursing students reached for the study, the estimated responses to the questionnaire were collected. Among the 100 students, 33% of the participants were affected by caries, whereas the rest 67% were healthy and free from caries. The participants had different views on the development of caries. The participants believed that caries developed due to the following reasons: Toothache (16.5%), sensitivity (14.4%), and brown and black spots (24%). 44.3% of participants believed that caries developed due to all the reasons mentioned above. Conclusion: From the above study, it was known that majority of the nursing students were aware of the dental caries. Measures to prevent the dental caries by the proper way of brushing and food habits have been told. The treatment recommended is scaling in severe conditions; root canal treatment was preferred.

  • Abstract Audio

    No Audio file found

  • About the authors and Affiliations

    Author(s) Name:

    S. Priyadharshini 1 , S. Vinothkumar2 , Dhanraj Ganapathy2

    Affiliation(s) Name:

    1Department of Prosthodontics,Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India,

    2Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha University, Chennai, India

    *Corresponding author: Dr. S. Vinothkumar, Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha University, 162, Poonamallee High Road, Chennai – 600 077, Tamil Nadu, India

  • View Article File in pdf format.

    Article File
  • View Article Citation Here.

    0 View More
  • How to Cite my Article.

    Author:

    S. Priyadharshini 1 , S. Vinothkumar2 , Dhanraj Ganapathy2

    Title:Status of dental caries among nursing students
    Journal:Drug Invention Today
    Vol(issue):11 (January)
    Year:2019
    Page No: (251-255)
  • Experimental Methods Keywords

    Methodology:Dental caries,Knowledge about dental caries, Oral health, Preventive ways
    Research Materials:Dental students

Keywords

Dental caries Dental students Knowledge about dental caries Oral health Preventive ways

Our Services

Most Downloaded List