Journal: Drug Invention Today

Article Id: JPRS-P col-00003534
Title: Antibiotics resistance patterns among Enterobacteriaceae isolated from different clinical samples
Category: Pharmacology
Section: Research Article
  • Abstract
  • Audio Abstract
  • Authors
  • Pdf File
  • Citation
  • My Reference
  • Methodology
  • Abstract

    Background: Enterobacteriaceae members can cause a wide range of infections such as urinary tract infections, respiratory tract infection, soft tissue infections, wound infections, bacteremia, and endocarditis. Antibiotics resistance patterns and multiple antibiotics resistance (MAR) index are a good tool for health risk assessment which identifies if isolates are from a region of high or low antibiotic use. Materials and Methods: A total of 227 Gram-negative, oxidase negative bacilli with different lactose fermentation ability were isolated from different clinical samples (211 urine, 10 stool, 4 sputum, and 2 wounds). Results: The results revealed that 184 (81.1%) of isolates while non-lactose fermenter consist of 43 (18.94%). Antibiotics resistance for 10 antibiotics (of 8 classes) was performed according to the CLSI 2016 and the results revealed that 170 (74.88%), 107 (47.13%), 105 (46.25%), 93 (40.96%), 69 (30.39%), 67 (29.51%), 67 (29.51%), 60 (26.43%), 57 (25.11%), and 34 (14.97%) for cefotaxime, aztreonam, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, tetracycline, amikacin, ciprofloxacin, nitrofurantoin, levofloxacin, gentamycin, and chloramphenicol, respectively. Antibiotics resistance patterns may include multidrug resistance (MDR), extensive-drug resistance (XDR), and pan-drug resistance (PDR). The results revealed that 119 (52.43%) were MDR while the rest 108 (47.57%) were non-MDR. None of the isolates be XDR or PDR. MAR index can be used as assessment tools to show the antibiotics usage volume in a specific region. The MDR isolates show low-risk MAR index (0.3–0.5) in 67 (56.30%) of MDR isolates while 52 (43.7%) of MDR isolates show high-risk MAR index (0.6–0.9). The dominant coresistance among MDR isolates is β-lactam/aminoglycosides/fluoroquinolones/tetracyclines which compile about 56 (47%). Conclusion: The current study concludes high frequency of MDR and high MAR index with coresistance of three big antibiotics classes members β-lactam, aminoglycosides, and fluoroquinolones among Enterobacteriaceae.

  • Abstract Audio

    No Audio file found

  • About the authors and Affiliations

    Author(s) Name:

    Anwar M. Lazm1 , Mohammed H. Al-Allak2 , Jawad A. Al-Asskar3 , Hussein O. M. Al-Dahmoshi 2 *, Noor S. K. Al-Khafaji 2

    Affiliation(s) Name:

    1 Department of Biology, Al-Farabi University College, Baghdad, Iraq,

    2 Department of Biology, College of Science, University of Babylon, Hilla, Iraq,

    3 Urology Center, Hilla Teaching Hospital, Hillah, Iraq

    *Corresponding author: Hussein O. M. Al-Dahmoshi, Department of Biology, College of Science, University of Babylon, Nader 2 District, Hilla, Iraq.

  • View Article File in pdf format.

    Article File
  • View Article Citation Here.

    0 View More
  • How to Cite my Article.

    Author:

    Anwar M. Lazm1 , Mohammed H. Al-Allak2 , Jawad A. Al-Asskar3 , Hussein O. M. Al-Dahmoshi 2 *, Noor S. K. Al-Khafaji 2

    Title:Antibiotics resistance patterns among Enterobacteriaceae isolated from different clinical samples
    Journal:Drug Invention Today
    Vol(issue):12 (May)
    Year:2019
    Page No: (938-942)
  • Experimental Methods Keywords

    Methodology:Extensive drug resistance, Multidrug resistance, Multiple antibiotic resistance index
    Research Materials:Enterobacteriaceae

Keywords

Enterobacteriaceae Extensive drug resistance Multidrug resistance Multiple antibiotic resistance index

Our Services

Most Downloaded List