Journal: Drug Invention Today

Article Id: JPRS-P col-00004118
Title: Knowledge, attitude, and awareness of DNA fingerprinting among college students
Category: Pharmaceutics
Section: Research Article
  • Abstract
  • Audio Abstract
  • Authors
  • Pdf File
  • Citation
  • My Reference
  • Methodology
  • Abstract

    Background: In recent years, a study of human genetics has grown exponentially. With this scientific field and its accompanying techniques, a scientist has been able to determine the difference between individuals using DNA fingerprints. British Geneticist, Dr. Alec Jeffrey developed a powerful tool for use in forensic science popularly known as DNA fingerprinting. DNA fingerprinting can be used to establish the identity of unidentified decomposed human remains. DNA fingerprinting can also be used to determine relatedness among humans, relatedness among ancient population, studying about breeding in endangered species, thereby aiding in breeding programs in zoological parks, etc. Aim: this study aims to evaluate the knowledge, attitude, and awareness of DNA fingerprinting among college students. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional survey by means of a self-administered questionnaire was conducted. Questionnaire was distributed to 100 students of Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals. Questionnaire consisted of three parts which are used to characterize pediatricians knowledge (seven questions), awareness (seven questions), and attitude toward DNA fingerprinting and its applications (three questions), etc. Results: The results were reported by summarizing responses of the respondents to each of the 17 questions in the questionnaire. Among the respondents, 46% of them were female respondents and 54% of them were male respondents. The response toward knowledge of the development of DNA fingerprinting, 46.2% quoted for Alec Jeffrey, 15.4% of the respondents quoted for James Grick, 19% of the respondents quoted for Khorana, and 19.2% of the respondents quoted for James Watson. Results for agreement toward mini-satellites is short non-coding repetitive sequence present throughout the chromosomes, 54% of the respondents do not agree with the statement and remaining of the respondents (46%) agreed with the statement while response toward the statement that DNA technique used to demonstrate the similarity between different animal species with reference to some specific protein coding in DNA sequence, majority of the respondent, 30.8% of them quoted for phyto blot, 38.5% quoted for garden blot, and 7.7% for plant profiling. Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, it may be concluded that there is a lack of proper awareness and knowledge of DNA fingerprinting techniques and its applications among dental students. Students should be well informed about its applications in various genetic fields by conducting some educational programs. To accomplish this objective, DNA fingerprinting topics in the medical curriculum and dental curriculum so that physician and dentist can impart their greater role. Regular education programs can be conducted. Articles in the medical journals DNA fingerprinting and applications can be published. Many workshops can be conducted.

  • Abstract Audio

    No Audio file found

  • About the authors and Affiliations

    Author(s) Name:

    S. Keerthika, V. Vishnupriya, R. Gayathri*, J. Selvaraj

    Affiliation(s) Name:

    Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

    *Corresponding author: R. Gayathri, Department of Biochemistry, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai - 600 077, Tamil Nadu, India.

  • View Article File in pdf format.

    Article File
  • View Article Citation Here.

    0 View More
  • How to Cite my Article.

    Author:

    S. Keerthika, V. Vishnupriya, R. Gayathri*, J. Selvaraj

    Title:Knowledge, attitude, and awareness of DNA fingerprinting among college students
    Journal:Drug Invention Today
    Vol(issue):11 (October )
    Year:2019
    Page No: (2378-2383)
  • Experimental Methods Keywords

    Methodology:Knowledge, attitude, and awareness
    Research Materials:DNA fingerprinting

Keywords

Awareness DNA fingerprinting Enzymatic amplification Respondents Students

Our Services

Most Downloaded List