Journal: Drug Invention Today

Article Id: JPRS-P'Col-00004676
Title: Prevalence and risk factors for epilepsy in children with cerebral palsy – A prospective observational study
Category: Pharmacology
Section: Research Article
  • Abstract
  • Audio Abstract
  • Authors
  • Pdf File
  • Citation
  • My Reference
  • Methodology
  • Abstract

    Objectives: The objectives of the study were to find the prevalence of epilepsy in children with cerebral palsy and assess the risk factors for epilepsy in children with cerebral palsy design: Prospective observational study setting: Pediatric Outpatient Department (OPD) of Sri Lakshmi Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences, Puducherry, subjects: A total of 79 children under 12 years of age with cerebral palsy were enrolled in the study. Materials and Methods: Mothers or caretakers of children with cerebral palsy who attended the pediatric OPD were interviewed to fill a printed structured questionnaire after consent. The details were recorded by the principal investigator. All children with cerebral palsy who had seizures were taken as cases. Children with cerebral palsy who did not have seizures were taken as controls. The data collected were tabulated in a Microsoft Excel datasheet and analyzed. The percentage of risk factors was estimated in both cases and controls. Chi- square test was done to calculate P-value. Statistical analysis was carried out using SPSS 20.0. P-value <0.05 was taken as statistically significant. Results: The total number of children with cerebral palsy recruited in our study is 79. Out of these 79 children, 46 (58.2%) had seizures and the remaining 33 (41.8%) children did not have seizures. Hence, the prevalence of seizures/epilepsy in children with cerebral palsy as per our study is 58.2%. Among the various risk factors analyzed, five factors were found to be statistically significant between both the groups, namely, consanguinity (P < 0.036), age of the mother <20 years at conception (P < 0.032), low birth weight (P < 0.001), neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) stay for more than 48 h (P < 0.02), and spastic quadriplegic type of cerebral palsy (P < 0.04). Conclusions: The prevalence of epilepsy in children with cerebral palsy in our study is 58.6%. Consanguinity, age of the mother <20 years at conception, low birth weight, NICU stay for more than 48 h, and spastic quadriplegic type of cerebral palsy are the risk factors for epilepsy in children with cerebral palsy.

  • Abstract Audio

    No Audio file found

  • About the authors and Affiliations

    Author(s) Name:

    V. D. Raghavendran, S. S. Kumaran*, N. Balamurugan

    Affiliation(s) Name:

    Department of Pediatrics, Sri Lakshmi Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences, Puducherry, India (Affiliated to Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India)

    *Corresponding author: S. S. Kumaran, Department of Pediatrics, Sri Lakshmi Narayanan Institute of Medical Sciences, Puducherry, India (Affiliated to Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India).

  • View Article File in pdf format.

    Article File
  • View Article Citation Here.

    0 View More
  • How to Cite my Article.

    Author:

    V. D. Raghavendran, S. S. Kumaran*, N. Balamurugan

    Title:Prevalence and risk factors for epilepsy in children with cerebral palsy – A prospective observational study
    Journal:Drug Invention Today
    Vol(issue):11 (December )
    Year:2019
    Page No: (3259-3261)
  • Experimental Methods Keywords

    Methodology:A prospective observational study
    Research Materials:children, Epilepsy

Keywords

Cerebral palsy Epilepsy Risk factors

Our Services

Most Downloaded List